Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Little Shop


I am not sure what has happened to me lately. I have adamantly stated time and time again for the past three years while teaching at Faulkner University that I don't enjoy acting. I have to admit that this is not really true, but I have said it over and over again enough times that it should be considered fact by now. I do have a bad case of stage freight that causes me to loose control of my bowels from time to time, which is the part of hating acting that is actually true. Then why in the world am I starring in another production. I have now cast myself (long story for another post) in the role of Seymour in "Little Shop of Horrors." Granted this is a role that I have loved for years and wanted to play this character for over ten years now, but why am I doing it now? Well, I selected this musical to direct because it is one of my all time favorites and I love it. I cast the show with an amazing cast almost two months ago. Then a three weeks ago my Seymour was offered a job in Maine at the Arundel Barn Playhouse. I am so happy for him and I know that it is a great opportunity for him so no hard feeling for his early departure. Then I asked our department head Matt Roberson to play the part. He agreed and then a week later he too turned me down. Next I turned to the next logical option, a student who had previously played the role in High School. I was certain that he would jump at the chance, but he turned me down flat! So, I decided that I was going to have to fill the role. It seems like I am receiving signs from God here that this is the best option. I asked Brandi Smith (one of our recent grads) to direct the show and she jumped at the chance. We started rehearsals last night and everything is going well. When I got to my first solo everything went fine. I sang the song and was pleased with my self, then Jennifer Haberkorn (my Audrey), looked at me and said I have never heard you sing that was really good. I was surprised more by the statement that she had not heard me sing than I was by the fact that she thought it was good. How could I have been here for three years without her hearing me sing. I have directed three Musicals in the past three years (H2S, Seussical, and Bye Bye Birdie). She was in all of them. I am in rehearsals every night with them I always sing along. How has she not heard me. I am confused. Maybe I really don't sing and just think that I do. I don't know. It makes me wonder though if I am really who I think I am or if others have a completely different impression of me than I think. I will have to investigate this further!

3 comments:

Gina said...

Very funny. I don't know how ANYONE could not hear you singing unless they are deaf, maybe. (Note to JC: Check Haberkorn's hearing). Glad to hear prax went well. Awesome links, by the way.
Love g

Mom of 4 Maniacs said...

I am certainly glad the role fell on to you. You were an awesome Seymore!

jhaberkorn said...

LOL... this is too funny...I know this was a long time ago but I still wanted to clarify my comment. :-)I didn't mean my comment to send you into a search for self. I truly just meant it as a compliment. The comment was m/b too general in that I hadn't EVER heard you sing, when what I meant was I had not ever heard you sing BY YOURSELF, SERIOUSLY, IN A PART. I've heard you mess around or sing along with us in rehearsals, but it was my first time to hear you sing loud, confidant, and solo. (with the exception of filling in for a character part in "how to succeed.." which was obviously not your real singing voice!)LOL...Well I must say that you WERE absolutely amazing as Seymour, that part was written for your voice!!! I hope that picking up that Audrey chic hasn't caused you any permanent back trauma ;-)
Hugs,
Jennifer :-)