Monday, June 25, 2007

Casting Troubles


If you know anything about, theatre you'll know that casting can be the most important part of any production. I have had my share of successes and failures as far as casting goes. Little Shop of Horrors has been filled with the most unusual casting dilemmas I have ever encountered. To begin with I precast the lead role of Seymore to one of our senior students for his senior project. I am still not positive that senior projects are the correct way to go about in teaching, but it has been done at Faulkner for years and I don't really have a full replacement idea in mind as of yet. Well, the auditions were cut and dry. I picked out the cast (nearly perfect, if I do say so myself) in no time flat. Within the next few weeks, before rehearsals started, the casting woes began to fall upon me. The lead actor that had been precast received an offer that he could not refuse, to work with a professional company in Maine. (The commute was too long). I searched the world over and thought I'd come up with a perfect replacement for him, but alas that too fell through, (Darn those family types!) So I went with my next best solution, another student that has proven himself worthy of this shot. I called him and he turned down the part flat! I was astonished, but understood his reason. I then fell to my last resort (sort of) I am now playing the role. Well, after replacing myself with another director I thought we were rocking along. Well, a couple of days ago that too fell through!!!! I lost one of my Urchins. She got a job in Atlanta (again too far too commute). So off I go (along with the new director) in search of a new female actress. I go with my first choice of students, who was actually next in line for the part from the audition. She was elated by the invitation, but turned it down due to family issues (again someone is moving!!!!) So one to the next choice. Finally success! The stage manager (who actually can act and sing) accepted the part. Now what to do about a stage manager!!!!! Low and behold I did not even have to call for one. One was handed to me on a silver platter. I received a call out of the blue asking if they could help. Thank you kind soul!!! I appreciate you! Well now we're off to rehearsal. Hopefully we won't have anymore drops, but if we do it will just add to this bizarre ordeal.

No comments: